The Weekend Workshop is coming to North America!
Graphic Design for Filmmaking, Main Film, Montreal, Canada
One-day Workshop, Saturday November 7th, 2015
Telegrams, love letters, prison escape maps... it’s not just the movie poster a graphic designer makes, but also any paper props that the actors work with on set. But how do you start designing graphics that can help tell a director’s story, as well as contributing to the genre, period, and visual aesthetic of a film?
This one-day course combines classroom tuition and practical assignments, including:
- When we design graphics for film, who are we designing for?
- How a graphic designer works for the production designer, set decorator, and prop master
- How to read and break down a film script
- How graphics are used as storytelling devices
- Researching graphic design and graphic methods from the past
- How to avoid ending up on the IMDB Goofs page
- How to draw and make graphics by hand
HOW DO YOU TEACH THE CLASS?
I teach all the workshops myself, keeping class sizes to a minimum so that I can spend good time with each attendee. As well as script-based exercises, analyzing movie clips, and studying behind-the-scenes artwork, you’ll also be making some graphic props – drawing lettering, sealing and stamping, and forging passports – so please don't wear your best clothes!
Please note that this is not a software course and we will not be using any computers whatsoever over the two days.
THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU IF...
- You’re a graphic designer looking to translate your skills to filmmaking, or...
- You’re a filmmaker looking to use graphic design effectively in your storytelling, or...
- Neither of the above but you have a huge interest in behind-the-scenes cinema and don't mind getting your hands dirty
WILL YOU REVIEW MY PORTFOLIO?
Yes – if you'd like me to look at your portfolio then I will give feedback via email. You will need to send me a lo-res PDF of your work containing no more than 12 images, plus a short outline of what you're doing now and what you'd like to do in the future.
Please note that this offer is only available to people who have booked a place on a workshop.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The one-day workshop costs €200 per person, running from 9am–5pm on Saturday 7th November. I provide all the materials you'll need – paper, pencils, calligraphy pens and ink etc – but if you have some favourite tools then feel free to bring your pencil case.
WILL I GET A DIPLOMA?
Everyone who attends the workshop goes home with a completely genuine fake diploma. The catch is you have to make it yourself.